Our firm has an extensive and sophisticated practice in the areas of federal, state and local taxation, including income, estate and gift, sales, property and unemployment taxation. We advise individuals, partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, trusts and other entities regarding planning strategies that suit their business goals and at the same time minimize their ultimate tax burden.
The firm’s attorneys possess extensive experience in handling tax appeals before the Internal Revenue Service, Kansas Department of Revenue, Kansas Court of Tax Appeals, Kansas Department of Human Resources and local taxing authorities, and in litigating tax matters before state and federal district and appellate courts and the U.S. Tax Court.
Our tax litigation lawyers have been involved with issues as diverse as:
- Successfully challenging the constitutionality of the Kansas intangibles tax before the Kansas Supreme Court.
- Achieving property tax reductions and exemptions on business and educational property before the Kansas Court of Tax Appeals and state district and appellate courts.
- Successfully challenging 35 years of U.S. Tax Court decisions and Internal Revenue rulings restricting the use of the income-forecast method of depreciation before the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Our more general taxation-related services include:
- Business tax planning.
- Accumulated earnings tax and personal holding company matters.
- Compensation and employee benefit matters, ERISA, IRAs, stock option and stock bonus plans, deferred compensation and salary continuation arrangements, health and accident and other related fringe benefit plans.
- Preparation of federal estate tax and federal gift tax returns and Kansas estate tax returns.
- Income tax matters involving trusts, estates, decedents and beneficiaries.
- Installment sales and tax accounting methods, as well as tax-free exchanges.
- Obtaining letter and revenue rulings from taxing authorities.
- Taxation of tax-exempt entities.